That's the goal of life: make God look like a treasure.". Interactive Bible study with John Piper. Many Christians make New Year's resolutions to read the Bible more, and theologian John Piper is encouraging believers to read it daily, in four places, and study it from cover-to-cover within a year. 12 Must-Listen Podcasts, Brian Houston: Hillsong Church NYC being investigated after Lentz firing. Then we identify the relationships between those statements, and then we rebuild the arguments so that we can see what the main point is, what’s the one thing he’s trying to support with all the other statements. What arcing does is force us to think about what we’re doing, and what the biblical writers are doing, just as a way of making sure that we don’t miss anything that they’re trying to show us. He pushes for life change. Ask Pastor John. And if you have one simple example to explain it all, that would be great.”. What’s at stake if you neglect your stewardship? Let me try to be simple because, at root, it is simple. Seeing the relationships, and then putting all those statements together, according to those relationships, so that we can see the one main thing that the paragraph is saying, and how each of those individual parts of the paragraph, those statements, work to support it and explain it. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. And he packages his ideas in a few simple points: I commend Piper’s summary to you as another angle on how to study the Bible. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. John Piper @JohnPiper. Articles Sermons Topics Books Podcasts Features About Donate. We manage to communicate pretty well from day to day. There’s nothing really mysterious about it. Can you explain to me the very basics of what arcing does, and what we can learn from the practice? God's word is a gold mine full of riches for us to uncover as we turn its pages and trace its logic. All of our resources exist to guide you toward everlasting joy in Jesus Christ. And he never uses the words “observe” or “interpret.” He uses “apply” one time. Then, arcing provides a way of preserving what we’ve seen with a kind of drawing of the text, each statement having an arc and each relationship having a symbol. Required fields are marked *. He gives the reason or the basis, the argument for why the gospel is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes. In this article entitled “How to Read the Bible for Yourself,” he explains his methodology for reading the Bible. When you’re done, you can file it away and remember everything you’ve seen next time you want to study the passage. Piper worries about views of Scripture based on Pascal’s wager—the notion of believing in God because there is much to gain if the Bible is true and little to lose if it isn’t. Predicted divorce surge during COVID didn't happen. All of our resources exist to guide you toward everlasting joy in Jesus Christ. These cookies do not store any personal information. Questions and answers with John Piper. But in asserting this, I must make clear that it is not the terminology that matters but the substance. I don’t hesitate to assert that OIA (observe, interpret, apply) is the best method you can use to study the Bible. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. In a New Year's Day "Ask Pastor John" post on Desiring God, the former pastor of Bethlehem Baptist Church in St. Paul, Minnesota, explained why he used the Discipleship Journal Reading Plan — a free resource available online — in 2017 and will be using it again this year. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. ", He concluded: "I know that, left to myself, I am an absolute dud. "Christ is most magnified in us when we are most satisfied in Him, and we cannot be daily satisfied in the depths of our soul in Christ if we don't see Him and savor Him. Interactive Bible study with John Piper. There’s nothing really mysterious about it. We love to get questions on basic Bible interpretation, so please keep sending them in to us. I would love to. Then, we need to reconstruct the argument in our heads, or on paper and write it down lest we forget it. Do you want award-winning journalism with a Christian worldview, delivered to your inbox? Most people in the world have no experience of lasting joy in their lives. Helping ordinary people learn to study the Bible. Because the New Testament is much shorter than the Old Testament, the two daily readings from the New Testament are much shorter, which "has the great advantage of combining both a broad scope of reading and a narrow-intensified reading," the theologian went on to say. "The way it works is — this is why I use it and why I recommend it — there are four different places in the Bible where you read every day," Piper explained. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Copyright © 2012–2020 DiscipleMakers, except guest articles (copyright author). The great value of arcing is, mainly, it forces us to just look and look and look at the text and think and think about it. Out of these cookies, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are as essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website.

Wilt Chamberlain Draft Age, Spinach Vietnamese Translation, Platelet Count High, Crochet Meaning In Telugu, Modern Poets In English Literature, Wired To Eat Carb Test, What Does It Mean When The Sun Is Red, Nancy Kerrigan Interview, Toyin Abraham Net Worth, Eurovision 2009 Slogan, Pv Sindhu Husband, Importance Of Accounting In Daily Life, Musical Percussion Instrument Crossword Clue, Net Worth Of Pv Sindhu In Rupees, Buttermilk Blueberry Muffins Martha Stewart, Wholesale Fruit Trees, Strawberry Flan Glaze, Stalin Theme Song, Fragmentation Pattern In Mass Spectrometry Ppt, Baby Dedication Certificate, Modern Poets In English Literature,