Odd as this might sound. Not in the end. According to Sartre, existentialism is a principle that provides human life possible. Not only am I responsible for everything that I am, but also when choosing any particular action I not only commit myself to it but am choosing as “a legislator deciding for the whole of mankind” (p. 30). A key idea of existentialism—and of the human condition—is that existence precedes essence. Freedom is seen as a power of annihilation, as exceeding the given (man is a “for-itself”). Annie Cohen-Solal Sartre: A Life (London: Heinemann 1988) is a fascinating biography. It’s very defensible and quite consistent with the approach to self-growth and personal development inherent in my approach: “the values of the wise.”. In Existentialism is a Humanism, Jean-Paul Sartre (1905-1980) presents an accessible description of existentialism. Sartre means by it simply the existentialist’s attitude to the recalcitrance or obstinacy of the aspects of the world that are beyond our control (and in particular other people: in his play No Exit one of the characters declares “Hell is other people”). Choice is inescapable; we are “condemned to be free” because we are human, whether or not we are existentialists. Secondly, “At best, if what Sartre is doing here succeeds, on existentialism it becomes an option to bring in ideas of responsibility. He does not for example defend but merely states his belief in the extent of human freedom. Existentialism has been criticised for inviting people to remain in a quietism of despair, to fall back into a the middle-class luxury of a merely contemplative philosophy. In what follows I argue that a concept of modern metaphysics, with an aporetic (Hegelian) logic of subjective experience, can carry this reconnection of the I and the We, offering meaning not in the resolution of their opposition, but in learning that the meaning of their opposition, and the meaning of humanity, is learning, is our education. Sartre, however, says that “The coward makes himself cowardly, the hero makes himself heroic.”. “There is no determinism, man is free, man is freedom. [2], Jean-Paul Sartre said "existentialism is a humanism" because it expresses the power of human beings to make freely-willed choices, independent of the influence of religion or society. The notion of human nature is absurd, since it gives the man an essence which man can not tear himself away (only the objects have a nature, a specific function),