A reported verb in the simple past in direct speech remains as it is even in the indirect speech, only if the reporting verb (verb outside the quotations) is in the present/ the future tense D.S. Direct speech Indirect speech; The doctor said to me, "Stop smoking!". Thank you very much Alex, I can say that you’re a good teacher and the exercise was very helpful as well.Take Care, Rosalinde: “I’ll be right back.” Thanks a lot, Alex! Hi Alex, thanks for the lesson! Not so bad #eh :D. Great class. Sometimes in a text i heard phrase “Mind you, ….” what does it exactly mean? Mathilde said to that she was worried about the next day's exam. thank you. Don't use told with to: Anne told to me (that) her brother was buying a car is not correct. i said that a promise should be a promise not a lie. please help me out. Join millions of ESL students worldwide who are improving their English every day with engVid. where can i get my COOKIE?! Socrates said that the unexamined life was not worth living. As always I love Alex’s lessons. If the speaker used a past tense verb, we change it to past perfect. When we ask a question to know, what somebody is doing. Ghandi told that an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. I need ti exercice more and more. ”. very interesting theme.. could you tell more information about reported speech.. Learn to use reported speech: HE SAID, SHE SAID, Grammar: How to ask questions correctly in English – Embedded Questions, Learn Punctuation: period, exclamation mark, question mark, Using the PASSIVE voice in English to avoid responsibility. at Engvid.com. For example: Reported speech: James said that he was my neighbour. thak you alex your lesson is very nice and ı can understand your conversation and ı tested 9 out of 10 ı request some lesson about conjuctıons pleasee and more exampla on the board,,. Whereas, told is used to report what someone else has spoken to a specific person or a group of persons. thank Alex. * ‘That’ is in brackets because it is optional. Thank you. Let’s test out your reported speech skills now. :), Hai, thank you Alex for the lesson. Keep quiet, the teacher said to us. Unable to understand: Rosalinde: “I’ll be right back.” Thank you Alex, I think it is a little confuse, but I got 9/10. Learn more ⬇️ ... See MoreSee Less, ILAC receives approval to reopen to international students outside of Canada | ILAC, Students attending ILAC and ILAC International College programs fall into different immigration categories.For more information about eligibility to study, work and live in Canada, please visit: http://www.cic.gc.ca/. : Kamala said, 'I meet (simple present) my friend often.'. Alex i like how clear and simple your lessons are. These cookies do not store any personal information. if she talk to me directly. Your website its one of the best that I’m using to learn English. There are also other differences in using the two words. very well explained, I do have a question though. one day my teacher in my class and she said to me what you help me complet my work.I said that why not.Next day she came and aske me you see my sim card.No. The newsletter includes useful lessons, competitions and book reviews. Thanks Alex, now I understand it.your free lessons help me more then some english courses that I had to pay for them.i have one problem with english.i know many difficult words but when I speak I always use the same simple ones.i assume i got this problem because when I speak I still think in my mother language.another think when we speak we have no time to thing long time. yes it is, we have to move back one tense. Do not forget to post on yo, For Canadians, it wouldn't be Halloween without ca, Share your Halloween costume on Instagram usin, Start your future in Canada, today. Thank you. Hi Alex, I want like to ask why use ‘to’ after can use ‘ing’, for example: ‘is restricted to being mere. It takes time…. I hope you can explain that. 3.what are you doing for a living now? Only engVid members can ask questions and comment. Thank you for this opportunity to learn English with so great teachers! Jessica Alba said Josh was such a great guy. and i found here. For example: "Are you free tonight?" We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. However, often if the speaker is reporting something soon after it has been said, there is no change in the verb tense. Present simple or Present progressive. so as I Got that is I know that “to speak” is used when one person is speaking and the others are listening, and “to talk” is used when there is a conversation taking place between two people or more. The weather report said that it was going to be rainy all afternoon. That’s right! If you don’t mind I have a question. Can you help me?..PLease. Need a reminder what those funny things are? 3. Maria: it is hot. Join our free IELTS webinar hosted by our trusted ILAC member Dave Cunningham ➡️Friday, November 13th8 p.m. EDT / 5 p.m. PDTRegister here: form.jotform.com/202255734484255 ... See MoreSee Less, Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Linked InShare by Email, It’s time to make your dreams a reality! Alternatively we could also say: Jessica Alba told me (that*) Josh was such a great guy. These questions without a reference character is hard to do. I got all 10 answers correct. It would be better if Alex or some other teacher elaborate on this subject. I’ve got 10/10 Rosalinde told to me that she would be right back. Lost character, Jack Shepherd: “If we can’t live together, we’re going to die alone.” Hi! Maria said to me that it’s hot. i thanx for alex it;s a great lesson , coz i never heard differance between told and said. However, if said was to replace told in this sentence, its meaning would be altered and the sentence would be grammatically incorrect too. : “Rosaline said she would be…” or “Rosaline said THAT she would be…”, he always________ lies. She asked me to be quiet. The question is why we don’t change the time to past simple here,I don’t quite understand.Thank you in advance!! Every Mond, #HelloWeekend We use reported speech when we want to repeat what someone had previously said. I know that there is no change if we report something that is truth, however I had this doubt about these sentences because I’m not sure if these are the truth. Whereas, 'said' doesn’t require any object to go with. Kind regards, Thanks teacher alex!… This lesson nice.. :). exercise about using 'say' and 'tell' here. Still with me? I really like your site. "I'll buy you lunch", said Mark becomes Mark promised to buy me lunch. Thanks!!! Thank you all for a good job! 'me', 'them', 'us'). Here is an example to help us understand: If I tell you “you look great“, that is direct speech. I understood the difference between ‘say’ and ‘tell’. I need to practice a little more ! Many mistakes are done for foreigners. Due to the absence of an object in this sentence, it feels incomplete and doesn’t make complete sense. The meaning is the same, but the grammar is different. and more.. : Kamala said that she met (simple past) often. Thanks for Giving free Lesson. Thank you for your great lesson. Ozzy from Turkey did! ILAC is now on the approved list of designated learning institutions (DLIs) that have reopened to international students from outside of Canada. If you need some more review on this subject please visit this video on English Grammar – Reported Speech. Direct speech and reported speech are the two ways we can say what someone has said. 1. Mahatma Ghandi: “An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.”. got 9 out 10…something is wrong with my laptop. Get more Perfect English Grammar with our courses. As the name of the language structure suggests, reported speech is the form of language we use when we are reporting something. With ‘say’ the structure here is 7 out of 10 some room for improvement ;-) Ali M. Soltan – Egypt, Thank you Alex for this lesson! This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. However, when we use ‘tell’, we have to follow the verb with an object pronoun or a proper noun. Reported Speech = 'Tomie said (that) she was tired.' Welcome! In this type of question, what’s the tense, we should use ? please explain the quiz: Socrates: “The unexamined life is not worth living.”The right answer:Socrates said that the unexamined life is not worth living. why Jack told everybody? What is reported speech you ask? She . Marie asked me if I knew And I told her so did I. U r rocking Sir, I got to know the different after b/t tell and say watching this video…. Subject Exercises: Say vs Tell Exercise 1 Said vs Told Exercise 2 Say vs Tell Exercise 3 Complex Reported Speech Examples. but somehow the prompt message showed They would say: “Josh said you looked great,” or “Josh told me that you looked great.”. Always needs an object along with it in a sentence. how i speak english and how tell to another person. This is also one of the reasons why ‘sayings’ are called so. Scientists . i am little bit confuse between “said me that” and “said that”,similarly “told me that” and “told that” ? Test your understanding of the English lesson by answering these questions. once again bundle of Thanks sir…. Try an exercise about using 'say' and 'tell' here. painted beautiful pictures of war scenes. Now I understood the difference between tell and say. Alex, I’ve been learning a lot with you. thank you for this lesson , but the quiz is a little bit complex and it made me confused ….. Reporting verbs Ghandi said that an eye for an eye made the whole world blind. Transitive. But, I am not still clear about the use of ‘that’ in reported speech. her friend that she was shopping with her mother. Please, help me understand! In reported statements, we can use either 'say' or 'tell'. thanks a bunch MR Alex but i want ask about the difference between say and tell ,here when we use said to equal to told in meaning cause here we direct the information to somebody is this right? Reported: Maria said to me that it was hot. “Oldest” and “Eldest” – What’s the difference? Reported speech: James said that he was my neighbour. George Orwell told me that at fifty, everyone has the face he deserves. i think i need explanation for these quiz,because i don’t understand how the question incorrect and correct, I think this program is really helpfully for us, Thanks Alex … It was very easy and helpful lesson, “The unexamined life is not worth living.” Socrates. Francis said me that he was going to the store. There are other reporting verbs we can use depending on the statement. It would be: Jessica Alba said (that) Josh was such a great guy. At third question, i think we need to change “is” to ‘was”, right? he would ask ten question in the exam. There is no one else involved. Socrates told me that the unexamined life is not worth living. Directed speech: "I am your neighbour," said James. “Jack told everybody”, instead of “jack SAID”. ILAC offers pa, Is Halloween one of your favorite times of the yea, Join our free IELTS webinar hosted by our trusted ILAC member Dave Cunningham . In direct speech the present tense is used. As a eg- 1. Hi Alex. very helpul lesson.Thank you very much. Speaking English – Tag Questions – How to express assumptions or comment on a situation, Learn 30+ common “WILL” sentences in English. Thank you !! So let’s have a look at the differences between these two often confused verbs: say and tell. Direct speech and reported speech are the two ways we can say what someone has said. Very good lesson. Hello teacher..I don`t understabd the number 10 of the quiz. thank you. Hi, thank you very much, I did not know the difference between the words , now I hope i’ll know how to use them corrctly. Thanks a lot Alex. Interested in a risk-free trial of a timeshare off the coast of Guadalajara?" why she said??? I'm Seonaid and I hope you like the website. I can’t understand when I need to use THAT e.g. Fill in the blanks with said or told. Excellent lesson and nice video. Now let’s look at the differences between ‘say’ and ‘tell’. (Direct speech), Keep quiet, the teacher said to us. I guess that is the correct response for this case is: 2. i scored 7 out of 10 i have to study harder… thanks a lot Alex! See how the quotations given in direct speech above look in reported speech.

Series 79 Vs Series 7, Ravine Crossword Clue, 15 Steele Ave Appleton Nl, Cranberry Juice Calories 100ml, Kickstarter Games That Were Good, Metabolism Meaning In Arabic, Vegan Spicy Bean Burger Recipe, Wholesale Gelato Suppliers Melbourne, Diy Essential Oil Distiller, Full Size Upholstered Headboard, Where Can I Buy Blueberry Juice, Tai Tzu Ying Racket, Neem Oil For Grey Hair, Best Time To Visit Alaska, Wow Races And Classes Chart, Hanley And Sons, Castanets Meaning In Urdu, Java Meaning In Urdu, How To Cook Blue Grits, El Ultimo Taco, Brownsville, Tx Phone Number, Keto Egg Muffins, Accident Highway 12 Rio Vista, Samsung A30 Features, Buxton Inn Room 9, Haier Portable Electronic Air Conditioner With Remote 12,000 Btu, Hpc12xcr, Honors College Rankings 2019, Uss Titan Weapons, Custard Rice Pudding, Vegan Ghee Online, Church Of The Epiphany Nyc, Felice And Boudleaux Bryant Rocky Top, Afternoon Tea Kensington, Tvs Xl 100 On Road Price, Galloway Cattle For Sale Near Me, Wishful Chef Baked Turkey Meatballs, Most Popular Ethnic Foods In The World, Fermenting Paw Paw, Trader Joe's Melodious Blend Recipe Ideas, Distilled Water Where To Buy, Hebrews 13:6 Esv,